As Catholics, we are called to give alms, especially during Lent. Some people don’t have the time or ability to donate their time, services, or blood and would rather donate money to worthy causes. I just became aware of good resource to go to where one can pick and choose authentic Catholic causes to donate to where 100% of the donation goes to the specific cause.
It is well with the man who is gracious and lends; He will maintain his cause in judgment. For he will never be shaken; The righteous will be remembered forever. He will not fear evil tidings; His heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD.
Thanks to a post on Catholic Memes, I became aware for the first time of MISSIO which is a list of various Catholic missions around the world as chosen by the Pontifical Mission Societies under the pope. There are opportunities for your money to go to farm animals for families, clean water for children, new classrooms, building of parishes for new Catholic communities, Catholic pregnancy centers and much more. It makes donating so easy. Also, the site accepts donations in any amount so even if someone doesn’t have much to give, they can easily give in proportion to their own situation.
Looking at this list, the goals of each mission are pretty low too. How fun would it be to be very rich and anonymously go to this site and just give money to each mission for each to complete its goal. I love stories where like someone goes to a toy store right before Christmas and pays for all the toys on hold to be picked up. If I was Bill Gates, that’s what I’d be doing regularly.
A few of my faves are listed below–although there’s a TON to choose from and I didn’t even look at every single one! Along with it is the amount raised/fundraising goal.
- Help build a new Catholic community, church $245/$15,000
- Support St. Francis Emmaus Pregnancy Hostel in Costa Rica $784/$9,500
- Fresh water for children in Honduras $1,136/$12,500
- Help children fight crushing poverty in Indore $732/$10,000
- Help rejected orphans become community leaders $151/$5,500
- Help developmentally disabled children in Maharashtra $280/$7,500
- Rebuild Holy Cross Seminary in Katapadi $273/$18,000
- Buy a transportation vehicle for deaf children in Cameroon $100/$15,000
- Bring nurses to those suffering in New Guinea $140/$10,000
- Bring Theology of the Body to Peru $90/$2,500
- Help rebuild St. Peter’s Parish in Nigeria after attacks $170/$10,000
- Send a seminarian from Cameroon on a retreat $52/$6,000
- Feed homeless children in Zamboanga $1,538/$10,000
- Help developmentally disabled children in Bhopal, India $215/$7,000
- Help start a new church in Mongolia $355/$18,000
- Help pay for a child’s orthopedic surgery $167/$5,000
- Help educate blind children $1,091/$5,000
- Rebuild Sacred Heart Parish in rural India $90/$5,000
It’s so exciting to know that a little money can go to so much good with the click of a mouse. How I pray that all these causes reach their goals. ☩
Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
-2 Cor. 9:6-7